Monday, April 28, 2008

The recipe that sealed the deal: Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


This recipe is very dear to my heart and it's not only because it's EXACTLY how I like my cookies, but it also brought me a husband. For our second date, he invited me over for brunch, and I didn't want to show up empty handed. I'm not a wine kind of gal, but I was definitely a cookie kind of gal. I picked up a cookie jar and decided to make him a jar full of my favourite cookies..."Alexis Chewy Brown-sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies", courtesy of Martha Stewart. He took a bite of a cookie and the rest, as they say it, is history.


If you ask him now, he would say it's the sweet gesture that did it. If you ask me, I would say that after the first bite, he couldn't live without these cookies.


Servings: about 50 cookies

Preheat oven: 375 degrees F

I use my Kitchen Aid Mixer for this.....but before my mixer was part of my life, I used a regular hand-held mixer.


What you'll need:


  • 1lbs of butter (4 sticks) at room temperature

  • 3 cups of light brown-sugar

  • 1 cup of sugar

  • 4 Large eggs

  • 2 tsp vanilla extract

  • 3 1/2 cup of flour

  • 1 1/2 tsp of salt

  • 2 tsp of baking soda

  • 1 1/2 cup of chocolate chips

1. With your mixer (paddle) cream butter until smooth and light in colour.


2. Add both sugars and mix until smooth.


3. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix.


4. While you have your mixer going, sift together the dry ingredients: Flour, Salt, Baking Soda


5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix until the batter comes together and turns a light brown colour.


6. Fold in the chocolate chips.


7. Spoon the batter onto a lined cookie sheet. (depending how how big you want the cookies, you can spoon the batter into a small mound or a large monund)


8. Be sure to SPACE OUT the cookies...they will SPREAD. I usually just fit 6 cookies onto a sheet.


9. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies turn golden in colour. Since these are a staple in our home, I don't even time it anymore...I pull them out when they look done.


10. Cool on a rack and enjoy.


A cook's tip: These cookies FREEZE especially well. I would usually make a full batch and spoon the dough onto a cookie sheet and pop them into the freezer. Once they have harden, you can place the frozen 'cookie pucks' into a tupper ware container, with parchment paper between each layer, and freeze until you need the cookies.


This cookie recipe brought me love and I hope it'll do the same for you!

No comments: